The Chapel & Organ

The Chapel & OrganCompleted in 1886, the College is housed in one of the most spectacular university buildings in the world. The founder, Thomas Holloway, insisted that the building should resemble a French chateau and be larger than any in France. The architect William Henry Crossland modeled the Founder's Building on Chambord and included in the design was both a large chapel and picture gallery. The beautiful gilded chapel includes sculptures by Ceccardo Fucigna and a fine 3-manual organ.

The Chapel Organ is located in the central West gallery of the Chapel, with the console in the south gallery (above the south ante-chapel). J W Walker & Sons built the original organ in 1886. The organ was completely rebuilt in 1978 by Harrison & Harrison of Durham and was overhauled by them in 2003.

The specification is to a design by Thomas G Duncan MA, B.Litt, of St. Andrew's University, and Lionel J Pike MA, D.Phil, of the College, in consultation with the organ builders. The instrument is remarkably versatile with strong French influences. The sound is clear and forthright and yet full of character and warmth. The swell boxes are very expressive with shutters opening fully 90°. A particularly unusual feature is the pedal 16' reed which is an extension of the en chamade pipework. The pipes are horizontal all the way into the bottom octave and located either side of the choir box.

Click here to download the Organ Specification (PDF)

Latest News

Read about life in the choir as told by its' members. Click here to find out more.

Upcoming Events

Presteigne Festival 2018

The choir are delighted to be returning to the beautiful Welsh Marches for a residency in the Presteigne Festival 2018. Click here to find out more about the choir's appearances.